When I first went vegan, my local Whole Foods had a delicious vegan egg salad. I became addicted to it and would buy it often. About 6 months later, they stopped making it and it made me so sad 🙁 but I learned to live without it. Then we took a trip (evacuated South Florida because of Hurricane Irma) to Tennessee, we stopped by the Whole Foods in Montgomery, AL and they had it!!! I was super excited and when I got home I decided that I wanted to make my own. I tried many, many recipes that I found online, and didn’t like any, but eventually decided to adapt the one that tasted the best to me. My husband who didn’t even like non-vegan egg salad loves it! You’ll want to make this recipe over and over, and over again (my mouth is watering just thinking about it).
Use a large bowl to make the salad in. You’ll need to first drain the liquid from the tofu block, I use something called the Tofu Xpress, which I got as a gift a few Christmases ago and I love it! It makes the process so much faster. There is a more economical one called Tofu Press which does the same job. Or you can do it the old fashion way, which is very effective, but it takes a little more time. The description of how do it that way is in the Instructions section of the recipe below.
I like using these super delicious potato buns by Arnold Bread brand. I have found that this brand has a lot of vegan bread options. And they can be found at almost all grocery stores in the United States.
Plus I love how cute 😉 sandwiches look when made in these potato hot dog buns. I used my small cookie scoop to get these little vegan egg salad “mountains.”
While getting my Plant-Based Chef Certification I learned that Black Salt is the “secret ingredient” to making tofu taste like eggs. So far I only like it in this recipe, I’ve tried it in my tofu scramble and did not like the “eggy” flavor it gave it. If you do not find this salt easily, use your favorite salt, I wouldn’t let this ingredient stop you from trying this recipe.
- 1 (14 oz.) block of extra firm tofu, fully drained
- 1 stalk of celery, small dice
- ¼ tsp dried dill
- ¼ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp of yellow mustard, or Dijon
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp black salt (Kala Namak)*
- ½ tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- pinch cayenne powder
- 4 vegan potato hot dog buns (or 8 slices of your favorite sandwich bread)
- 2 Roma tomatoes, sliced (or 1 large tomato)
- Press the tofu block to extract as much of the water as possible. You can wrap the tofu in a kitchen towel and squeeze gently to remove the water. Then place it over a colander over a bowl and set it aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the dressing ingredients; the mayo, nutritional yeast, mustard, garlic powder, black salt, black pepper, turmeric, paprika and cayenne pepper. Mix until smooth and completely combined.
- Use your hands and crumble the tofu into small pieces into the mixing bowl containing the dressing.
- Add the celery, and dill and mix to combine.
- Combine well and taste. Add more of any of the dressing ingredients to your taste, more salt or pepper, mayo or mustard.
Recipe adapted from http://www.theedgyveg.com/2017/08/21/vegan-egg-salad-sandwich/